Wednesday, July 16, 2008

To be part of a community, you must contribute

I've always been a bit of a loner. Sure I enjoy hanging with friends and being social, but only when it suits me. I could quite happily amuse myself for hours on end without feeling a need to be with people. ('People' excludes Parri of course. We're pretty much together 24/7 if time and commitments allow.)

I am however, acutely aware that if you want to form part of a community, you need to contribute to that community on a regular and consistent basis. You've got to give as good as you get. What happens though, when the community you wish to engage with becomes so big that contributing regularly becomes almost impossible?

For example, I couldn't possible read and comment on all the blogs I would want to even if I tried. (My google reader is shouting 568 unread posts as I type.) Between work, a constant barrage of emails and phone calls, the need to find quiet time, eating, sleeping, reading, spending time with family, friends and life in general, I'm just not getting to it all.

So with this post, I apologise to all those who include me in their community (both on and offline) and to whom I am not contributing as much as I would like. I am working on it and when I find the solution, will share it feverishly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently changed feed readers... mostly because my old reader did not work with firefox 3.0.

I could have done the whole OPML export thing.. but I figured I would give my feed list a fresh start and only added feeds I remembered or missed.

That cut down on some junk. Try it.

Cluckhoff said...

@Joe, which feed reader are you using now?

Anonymous said...

As of right now, I have 6248 unread feeds ... *exit* ... tomorrow is another day xx