Friday, July 25, 2008

Shoot the puppy

Disclaimer: This post was written two days ago in hard copy on a plane and albeit a bit belated I am posting it anyway - because I can.

I've just returned from two days in JHB. Two long, hard, interesting, trying, yet exciting days. I'm now stuck on a plane a few thousand feet above mother earth and contrary to logic I don't want the flight to end.

Although arriving in CPT means seeing Parri and Bono (my cat) and being home, it also means I have to face the real world where work and deadlines consume my life and I am reaching a point of having to schedule loo breaks. So why so melancholy?

Well, last weekend Parri and I went to watch Wanted starring Angelina Jolie (have I mentioned that in my next life I want to be a non-famous version of Angelina?) and apart from the fact that it was a great movie, it also made me think about my life in general. After watching all the intrigue, drama and high speed car chases that come standard with movies about a secret society of assassins, the movie ends off with the lead character asking:"What have you done lately?" What he implies by this is what have you done to change your life.

This made me think about the following things, things I know to be true yet often ignore or avoid:
  • I'm chicken.
  • Things have to change and it's up to me to change them.
  • I don't like change, yet I crave it.
  • It depends on me. Always has, always will.
  • When I get to the pearly gates one day there is only one question I need to answer to: Was I happy? And the only answer there can be is YES.
  • Always be respectful, considerate and compassionate towards those around you, but never sacrifice your happiness in exchange for theirs.
  • If you're good at something, if you enjoy it and if an opportunity presents itself, grab it with both hands and ride the wave.
  • Don't let people fuck you over. Even if they don't mean to.
  • Be clear on what you want from life.
  • Learn to say no.
  • Acknowledge yourself.
  • Do everything in your power to learn more, to understand more, to see both sides of every coin and to experience life in its totality.
  • Have a bucket list.
  • Be clear on your stance on religion and change it as often as you like.
  • Find 'me' time.
  • Be proactive.
  • Spread the love.
  • See and experience life through your heart.
  • Travel.
  • Be the best person you can be and then some.
  • Stop worrying about what others think. There is a very big chance that they are merely a figment of your imagination anyway.
  • Shoot the puppy.
My puppy's days are counted.

No comments: