Thursday, July 03, 2008

My life is like a game of Tetris

The best way I can describe my life at the moment is that it's like a game of Tetris. The problem is, I'm on level 10 and my brain can only handle level 3. As a result the shapes aren't lining up correctly which, in the end, will mean I have to start again.

I can't seem to stop the game mid level either, hence fixing the gaps is not an option. As far as the obvious choices go I either have to quit, or wait for round two. Of late a third option seems to be presenting itself namely: play a different game.

Things happen to me. Strange things. Things that would freak most people out if they were aware that in fact it happens to them too. Tristin describes it as being in touch with my sixth sense (and as a result bought me the book Blink). I prefer to describe it as an awareness, a willingness to listen (although I've learnt not to over analyze it as I then tend to screw it up).

I don't see the future (I wish) and am by no means clairvoyant, I just trust my gut feeling and in fact do 99% of business based on whether or not something feels right. It's airy fairy I know, but it seems to be working.

So when people and things cross my path, I try to figure out what I can learn from the resultant experience. Sometimes I merely learn that I never want to treat others the way the person I am dealing with treats me or those around him/her. Other times I learn bigger stuff, such as the importance of being happy if you wish to make those around you happy.

Despite being really busy and good at what I do, I can't say I've been happy and the scary thing is that I am starting so see the ripple effects. I've said it before and I will say it again: What we do in this life matters. Despite being blessed with kick-ass friends and family, amazing experiences and more things to be grateful for than you can shake a stick at, if you don't know what makes you happy you cannot make those around you happy.

So here's to figuring out the next game, the rules of engagement and the reasons for playing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... seems like you and I have a fair bit in common.

I also run my business on instinct. Sometimes there's no apparent logical reason for decisions I make, but I go with my gut and so far, so good. It's when I don't trust my gut that things go wrong!

I'm also reflecting on where I am right now, trying to decide if I'm prepared to continue operating at a level that clearly does not fulfill me anymore. I don't think I can.

There may indeed be another game that would be better for me to play. One that lets me move around on any level I choose and gives me the freedom to run my life in a way that makes me happy.

I want to see the "you win" screen =)

Cluckhoff said...

So after the stiff drink, are you keen on a cuppa java (maybe next week soometime)? Perhaps we can brainstorm the path of least resistance to the YOU WIN screen.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely =)