Saturday, August 02, 2008

Who is the Time 'Being'?


I'm currently reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and the book, for want of a better description, is changing my life. Not only would I love the ability to write like her, I also admire her honesty, her spirit and her willingness to seek love in its purest form no matter what 'stuff' she has to work through to get there.

Like Liz (as she refers to herself), I have control issues and as a result struggle to let go and just 'be'. I can be high strung, anal - a real pain in the proverbial ass - I like things my way and I've been known to have a thing about sticky fingers and dirty hands. (Not OCD, but close.) Wow, I sound fun...

I am however, incredibly hard on myself (as most people are) and hence plan to ease up.

First things first: Learn to be present. I have often wondered about global time differences and have tried to work out ways of living the same day twice. I love the idea of flying to China and then flying back to SA only to gain back the time you you have already lived. (For the record I know it's not possible, but it would be cool.)

While in the shower this morning, the penny dropped (for the how many-eth time) that you never actually gain or lose time. The Chinese, like us, are living now. The sun might rise and set at different times and our dates may differ as a result - giving the illusion that they are living in the future - but all it really is, is now. And all we have control over is now. And if we let go, like Liz says, the birds won't drop from the sky and the earth won't stop turning on its axis.

Now all that's left, is to give it a try and to kick the Time Being under its proverbial ass.

* O, and read the book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

following you on twitter (@buzzfactor) and wanted to know what this "time being" was about. your self description of control issues, high strung, like things my way and then there's the whole sticky fingers/dirty hands (in a non-ocd way) is so me... but in a good, fun way. may have to pick up this book. thanks. @buzzfactor

Ian said...

You missed out on those excellent ribs at the function for wanting it your way and having control issues, but it is a small matter to overcome, lol.

Cluckhoff said...

@buzzfactor it truly is an amazing book, well worth the read. I would be interested to know what you think of it.

@Ian :) I've never been a rib fan, but yes, I have been known to pass up messy food on occasion unless there are wet wipes handy.