Saturday, August 23, 2008

Celebrity exits

It's been an interesting two weeks. After going to the Cederberg for a long weekend in an attempt to regain some perspective on life in general, I returned with a nasty cold and an innate dislike for how I have allowed myself to get caught up in the maelstrom.

As opposed to looking from the inside out - catching only sidelong glances of blurred images depicting what is really important - I have attempted to view my cosmos from the other direction. The epiphany came when I realised I only have to be where I want to be when I want to be there, and that by being somewhere where you don't want to be, or where you are not adding value, is being untruthful.

This holds true on many levels.

Based on a poignant comment Martin made on this blog a while back, I've decided that it's about spending less time trying to be everything to everyone and more about enjoying quality time and creating meaningful experiences.

That said, I have already failed. Just last night I spent time at Asoka with some incredible people, only to leave when the going got good because I had committed to being somewhere else at the last minute. Despite the fact the the next engagement was fun and I'm truly glad I went, I realise that I inadvertently cheated myself out of a meaningful experience because I still have not learnt the art of saying 'no' and knowing that it's OK to do so. As a result I try to squeeze in 140 characters here and another 140 there and never really touch on the fundamentals - the things that matter.

Lesson learnt. (And I am sure I will learn it a few times more.)

Brain dump:
  • I absolutely love spring. Always have, always will. Blossoms, bright green leaves, longer days, clean crisp air, a general feeling of well being and excitement all round...I love it.
  • Getting to know the ropes has been an interesting experience.
  • Realisation: if you play with fire, expect to get burnt (and always have a fire extinguisher handy)
  • Art class has been fun and I look forward to completing my first oil painting next week. I have a couple of projects on the go, but this one will be the first to see a wall other than that of the studio.
  • Mia, Joe's kid, is adorable. I hope my kids are half as cool one day.
  • Never underestimate the self-centeredness of others and don't let it get to you. Rather, treat it as a reality check.
  • I suck at remembering names. I really, really need to work on that.
  • The RTD Red Bull RADAR Project has launched better than even I could have imagined and I am so excited I can pop. A million thank you's to Speakerbox and to the guys at Blueworld for making it happen. Over 25 bands have entered in less than a week and there are over 6000 votes!
  • It was really good to meet Bradley Voges this week and to connect with Foxinni (sorry it took me so long to connect the dots), Allan Kent, Justin Hartman and Mike Stopforth albeit brief. (Yes Justin, I will attempt to blog more.)
  • Celebrity exists - leaving without saying good bye in an attempt to avoid having to say that you don't really want to be there for whatever reason - will become more common and if they are viewed as selfish, so-be-it.
I'm off to Robynn's bday party and tomorrow it's Sowing the Seeds (for Rocking the Daisies). I hope to see some of you there.

PS: Never tell a bunch of bloggers that they are pathetic. Not even when they are sitting outside in the biting cold, separate from the rest of the group, perpetuating the notion that they are elitist :)

XXX

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have the same problem, but I am sort of better with that stuff now. Leaving you with an idea (Which sounds very corny, but is so true)

"Our time here on earth is sacred, we must enjoy every last bit of it, and when asks that you be serious, just remember that no one gets out alive!"

Cluckhoff said...

@dimitrio Corny is good. I did however recently read a passage in Eat Pray Love that said something along the lines of 'we are eternal'- so it doesn't matter if we don't get to experience everything now.

I like that. It kind of takes the pressure off and gives us the freedom to just get on with being alive.

Anonymous said...

love love love the way you can put it all into perspective in a way that does not harm, but helps.

you are right. overcommitment is for the birds. living in the now the hardest thing to do when we worry every day if we are enough, have been enough, know enough, feel enough.

to me, though, my friend, you are wonderful and i have no idea how you do it all with such beauty and grace.

and fuck anyone who thinks differently

X

Cluckhoff said...

Wow, thanks Cath *blush*