Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Silence!

I once saw a T-shirt which read: "You're only jealous cause the little voices are talking to me." (The T-shirt was in a shop called Tiny P*nis - spelt exactly like this on their sign - situated in a town called Newquay on the north west coast of Cornwall in the UK. (Who knew the British had a sense of humour?)

Now at the risk of sounding schizophrenic, all I want is for the voices in my head to shut the f*ck up! Lately I have been in constant dialogue with either myself, friends, family, business acquaintances, God/the Universe...you name it, I'm talking to them. This would be perfectly normal, if I was able to switch off from time to time, but this 'noise' coupled with the everyday noises like traffic, phones, people, the world at large, is making me feel somewhat claustrophobic.

Here I must stop to add that I am incredibly grateful that the voices have as yet, not responded and that the only person talking is me. In order to keep it this way, I have resorted to waking up at 5:30 each morning to attend either a yoga or pilates class in the hope that being present, calm and in tune with every muscle in my body will help to calm the din down. It's only been two mornings, but is seems to be doing the trick.

My next step, is to spend four days in the Cederberg where reception is non existent, 'Internet' is not a commonly spoken word and there is in fact no electricity for miles around. It's so quiet there, you can hear the silence.

And just to make sure the voices don't decide to respond - ever - I am going to spend an entire day (maybe two) in silence.

"Vat so katvis."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

4 Days away in the middle of nowhere?

I am GREEEEEEEN!

*sigh*

That sounds so good ... I hope you have a beautifully quiet time xx

Cluckhoff said...

Thanks @justbcoz

Wanna come? There is more than enough space and I know you need it. Just don't expect too much talking.

Anonymous said...

Ow wow, thank you for the invite!! That's so stunning of you ...

I won't be able to go though - my boytjie is gonna need me =)

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT!!!!!

You go forth with the silence.

XX