Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Weblebrities

According to LOGIC AND EMOTION you know you're a weblebrity when: "Total strangers you meet at conferences know more about you than your significant other."

I wouldn't necessarily say that I am quiet there yet (thank goodness), but I must admit I am very freaked out when people tell me they actually read my posts. Why?! I refer the reader to my first post ever which reads:

I am not a geek, nor am I a blogger. I have no intent on writing every day nor am I under any false illusions that tons of people are going to read this. (In fact I prefer it that way.)"

So imagine my surprise when this blonde haired dude (we've established I suck at names) meets me for the first time at the last 27Dinner and promptly tells me he reads this blog!

WTF?! This page was always meant as a space to brain dump. A space to clear my head of the endless conversations and questions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered that people are interested in my 'garbage' but I am slightly perturbed too. Why would people care? Where do they find the time? What value could they possibly derive from reading all of this?

Perhaps what I am most freaked out by is that, despite knowing this is a public domain, I am actually having to consider the fact that I should think about what I say - and I don't want to. What use is this page if I can't be honest, open, say what's on my mind and rant when ever the f*ck I feel like it?

I am fully aware that I can't always say exactly what I like, that would be suicide, but I am having to think about all of this none the less. I haven't quite made up my mind on this issue, so will stew on it for a while.

This is me stewing...

8 comments:

Ian said...

Yes, its a scary new world where nothing is private anymore. You in the marketing world should know more than others that businesses wants to know even more. They want to know exactly what you are buying, why and when. In the past strategic buying/selling decisions was left for the high end negotiators dealing with large accounts. Now this kind of strategic marketing has moved to individuals (consumers)... therefore the need to know.

Now I have forgotten what your article was all about, I've seemed to lost track getting worked up over privacy and how my bank, the receiver, credit card companies and "others" knows everything I do, lol... Even employers and recruit agencies check out your facebook to see who you know and what you do. And now there is another one; one for professionals to link with each other. (I'll send you link) Another place where someone you've never known, tells you, he/she knows you...lol, but this one could be beneficial, who knows...

Anonymous said...

i agree with ian... nothing is private anymore. i spend a lot of time deciding what ill release to the world, and what stays at home in my heart.

sometimes thats hard.

but, cath, you are one to be admired. business head first, and sparklies all the way.

dont stew, just do. dont doubt, just be.

X

Anonymous said...

Write a private diary then!

Cluckhoff said...

I must admit I don't care much whether Big Brother is watching or not. If they've got nothing better to do than track my above board life then yay for them.

It's trying to wrap my head around the online space as a whole that's got me a little out of sorts.

I've never been a Dear Diary person so the chances of this turning into an expose of my life is slim to none. If people want to read the stuff that's on here, so-be-it.

I've decided to continue using it as a space to muse, contemplate, bitch and download when ever the need arises. Somehow doing this in an old school diary just ain't the same.

Anonymous said...

I must admit I don't care much whether Big Brother is watching or not. If they've got nothing better to do than track my above board life then yay for them.

I love that... I say screw 'em to those who have nothing better to do than stalk and assume things.

mwah.

Cluckhoff said...

@cathjenkin "Have I told you lately how I love you?..."

You are the awesomeness self - thank you!

Ian said...

The problem is what "they" do with this stored information. There is an article that in the UK the government wants to store all phone calls, e-mails and electronic communication to be made accesable to law enforcement agencies.

Now what if the government starts looking for people who write negative comments about them and label them as potential threats or terrorists and suddenly you find yourself on a "special" list for interrogation when you want to board a flight? This has already happened to US citizens...

I've discovered that on this media format there are certain subjects which are better left alone... One such an example is making any comments about Jewish occupation of Palestine and its like an "army" attacks you with rude comments. Its a scary world "out there"!!! Speak your mind but also think who potentially will be reading this. (Knowledge protects, ignorance endangers).

Cluckhoff said...

@Ian I hear you.